Sunday, June 7, 2009

Week 5: 14 Weeks to Nations

So here we are starting week 5 of training. I am still recovering from the car accident I got into 2 and a half weeks ago when someone rear-ended me. The pain in my neck, back and hips is, unfortunately, really affecting my ability to train not to mention diminishing my quality of life otherwise. It makes me really mad that I am trying to do something good not only for myself but for the greater good and I keep having these crazy incidents! At least, since it was not my fault, the other person's insurance company is paying for my treatment. I am going to see a chiropractor/sports medicine guy tomorrow. I am really hoping that they can do something to help me so I can start training hard again. And also, and more importantly, so I can actually ENJOY training again. Plus, I'd really just like to be able to sit all day at work without being in terrible discomfort but I'll take what I can get for now.

Last week I got back on my bike for the first time since the injury. It wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be, and besides being perhaps slightly over cautions it went really well. Due to the car accident I was feeling it in my back by the time we were done but my elbow was hurting as well so it didn't hold me back any more than it would have been otherwise. It was just Juline and I and one coach, though. I have been disappointed regarding how many people have been showing up for practice. Come on out, people! Maybe more will come further in the season. After the bike we went down to Dunkin' Donuts in Huntersville for coffee and bagels. Ok, and donuts, too. :) Gotta get back to a better eating schedule!

We ran a 5k yesterday (the distance, not an official 5k "race") up at the Lake Norman YMCA. It wasn't bad. Or, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be though my legs are still aching from it :). We did the course that they use for the 5k for the Lake Norman Triathlon, which is in August which I am considering doing if I can still get a spot. It starts with a pretty serious incline but other than that there were a few rolling hills and a nice run otherwise. Really cute neighborhoods back there. Would be a lovely place to live. The Lake Norman Y is also where we can practice our open water swims. It's a 750M course, which is about half the distance I will need to swim in DC. It didn't look so bad but distances are a lot different when you're actually in the water. We also ran with the Tri Latta team, whose race is this weekend. I got to catch up with a few of the people I was training with before I dislocated my elbow, which was nice. Then afterwards a few of us went to The Bagel Bin in Huntersville. Good stuff. I think next week we get on the bike again!

No comments:

Post a Comment